Instagram has gained a lot of popularity in recent years and has definitely found its way into our lives. A day does not go by without logging in to their Instagram accounts for many people.
It is a good way to keep in touch with people around the world however it all comes with a bit of risk.
There have been a few cases wherein data leakage issues have occurred. If you have been through such a situation, then you might think of deleting the Instagram account permanently.
However this is not the only option available, you can either choose to deactivate the account on a temporary basis or delete the Instagram account permanently based on whether you want to come back to Instagram in the future or not.
To be secure online and protect your data from the cyberbully. You might even consider having encrypting software so that the data is stored in the cloud. Also, ensure there is an end to end encryption and the encryption provider does not store the password.
However, manually encrypting the files is a much better option as the cloud storage provider will have access to your data and will be under the liberty to share it with the government on request.
Delete Instagram profile or account permanently
If you are sure that you do not want to come back to Instagram again and have had some unpleasant experience. Your account can be deleted permanently. However, all the data like photos, followers, likes, and comments will be deleted. None of these will be restored again.
In case you change your mind in the future and wish to come back to Instagram, the only way to do so is by creating a new account. You will not be able to use the same username though. So it is best to first download all your data first and then delete the account so that you have a copy of all the photos and videos you shared on Instagram.
Download the Data
Follow these simple steps to download the data onto your preferred device:
- Open the Instagram app and navigate to the settings icon and select it.
- Go to Privacy and security and tap on Request Download.
- Here you will be given an option to enter Email ID.
- You will receive a link to download your Instagram data on this Email ID within 48 hours.
- The Email will be titled 'Your Instagram Data'. Open the email and click on Download data.
How to delete Instagram account permanently
You cannot delete the Instagram account permanently through the mobile app. You have to visit the Instagram website to do so.
Here is the procedure to delete Instagram account permanently:
- Go to the Instagram website and Log in to your account.
- Navigate to 'Delete your Account' page and here you are asked to select the reason for deleting the account. Select the appropriate option.
- Once the reason is selected, there is an option to enter the password below it. Enter your password and tap on 'Permanently delete my account'.
- Your Instagram account is now deleted and you will also receive a notification on the same on your Email ID.
How to deactivate the Instagram account
If you are tired of being on Instagram for too long, or if it has turned into an obsession and taking up a lot of time resulting in low productivity of your time. Then you might consider deactivating it for a while, this is on a temporary basis. Like Deleting the Instagram account, deactivating also cannot be done on the mobile app. You will have to open a web browser and go to the Instagram website.
Here are the simple steps to follow to deactivate the Instagram account on a temporary basis:
- Open the Instagram website and log in to your account. Then, navigate your way to the profile page by click on the icon.
- Go to Edit profile and find 'Temporarily disable my account' option. Click on it.
- It will ask you to select the reason for the deactivation of the Instagram account under 'Why are you disabling your account' with a list of possible reasons.
- Select one of these reasons that best suits your situation.
- Below this, there is an option to enter the password again. Enter your password here and click on 'Temporarily disable my account'.
- The account is now deactivated and no one will be able to see your profile, photos, followers, likes and comments, etc.
- However, all these will be retrieved once you log back in.
- As per Instagram's usage policy, there is an option to deactivate your account once a week.
Doing this will ensure that your account can be accessed again later to start off from where you left it. Profile, followers, photos, likes, and comments will be not visible on the account anymore. However, all this will be back to normal as soon as you log in to the account.